Note: inclusion of books or web sites on this page does not mean that we agree with all of the content or suggestions you will find in these resources.
“Storms,” “Rage Attacks,” or “Meltdowns”
The “Rage Attack” section of Tourette Syndrome “Plus”
Books for Educators and Other Professionals:
- Green RW: Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help Them. Scribner, 2009.
- Greene RW: The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children (third edition). Harper, 2005.
- Greene RW, Ablon JS: Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach. Guilford Press, 2005.
- Myles BS, Southwick J: Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns. Autism Asperger Pub. Co, 1999.
- Packer LE, Pruitt SK: Challenging Kids, Challenged Teachers: Teaching Students with Tourette’s, Bipolar Disorder, Executive Dysfunction, OCD, ADHD, and More, Woodbine House, 2010.
- Riley DA: What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions. Mariner Books, 2008.
Other Books on Behavior Issues:
- LeCroy CW: Handbook of Evidence-Based Treatment Manuals for Children and Adolescents. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Mayer MJ, Van Acker R, Lochman JE, Gresham FM (eds.), Cognitive-Behavioral Interventions for Emotional and Behavioral Disorders: School-Based Practice. Guilford Press, 2008.
- Pierangelo R, Giuliani GA: Classroom Management for Students With Emotional and Behavioral Disorders: A Step-by-Step Guide for Educators. Corwin Press, 2008.
- Raines JC: Evidence Based Practice in School Mental Health (Oxford Workshop Series). Oxford University Press, 2008.
Web Sites on Behavior:
Bullying in Schools and What to Do About It
Center for Effective Collaboration and Practice
Discipline by Design
Multimodal Functional Behavioral Assessment
OSEP National Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
Preventing Classroom Bullying: What Teachers Can Do
Stop Bullying Now!
University of Kentucky Behavior Home Page
Cyberbullying: The New Online Crime – suggested by a Girl Scout troop in Nebraska – thanks, kids!
Note: InterventionCentral.org has some fabulous forms for free download and use, including a wonderful tool to help school personnel generate a reward menu for a specific student as part of a behavior intervention plan.